Monday, December 7, 2015

Our Master Bathroom Reveal

Yay! We are here to reveal the updates we've completed in our master bath. This room has been months (literally) in the making. We've worked on it here and there between other projects, but it never took priority. Now that we have a little bundle that isn't going to wait to arrive until we are done updating our home, we had to wrap up this project ASAP. Here's the final (final for now) en suite:

 
Of course, there's no use for an "after" picture until you view the bleak beginnings. Broken medicine cabinet, poorly patched drywall, unfinished trim, and outdated finishes.
 
 
We had to replace the vanity top and faucet shortly after move-in, thanks to some crumbling drain lines, so I pulled out the mirror at that time. It was bad; trust me on this one. No "before" picture necessary. That oddly unfinished molding and trim was there the whole time...
 
 
 
We're just happy as bees that this room came together with some fairly simple (and cheap) updates! It just required a bit of manpower (or pregnant lady power) to get it looking like it does today. There's no stopping a lady with a belly and a nail gun. Have I mentioned how much I love my nail gun? Huge heart eyes to my hubby who finally caved and bought me my nail gun and compressor set last year. Best. Christmas. Ever.
 


This room came in under a serious low budget. It really helped that the last homeowners left some vital wood scraps in the garage. Like this beadboard siding and chair rail... left behind in the garage still in the protective plastic wrapping. I updated the window casing and medicine cabinet with new trim (to match the rest of the house). We use primed 1 x 4's for our trim and casing to give the room a simple, classic look. Budget friendly since the 8' boards run about $7 each.

 
We used some of the leftover beadboard to run it behind the mirror and finish the area around the sink. We hung a wood-framed mirror that I picked up at Homegoods for $22 a few years ago. I knew I would find the perfect spot for her someday!
 
 
The vanity was in pretty good condition, so we saved the dough and just painted it using Ben Moore's Kendall Charcoal. Which could be my favorite new paint color. Fun fact: I purchased this can of paint 4 years ago to use when I was renovating my first house. I chickened out before I could use it when I saw how dark it was. I finally have really big plans for this color! Let's just say that you're going to see this again very soon.
 
The hardware on the vanity is from Home Depot. I wanted to use this hardware in our kitchen, but it got the veto from J-Dawg. I wonder if he'll notice that I ended up sneaking it in...
 

 
Should we chat about that cedar ceiling over a cup of coffee? Yuummm. I have wanted to do this since my brother and sister-in-law lined their entire Nashville lake house with cedar. Welcome to my petite spa. Did I mention that this ceiling cost $30? Cedar is really affordable when you use cedar fencing rather than rough hewn boards! (Credit goes to my brother for this discovery!)  
 

 
 
 
I made these medicine cabinet doors myself. And it took me 20 minutes. Remember how much I love my nail gun? Well, Kreg may be my second tool-boyfriend. It makes building things super easy. I just joined a few 1x4's together, added a 1x3 detail on the front, sanded it all and slapped some paint on it. And seriously, this is my favorite feature in this bathroom. I love this simple design and I himmed and hawed about it for months.
 
 
These doors give us more hidden storage that we didn't have before. And yes, this bath is small, but we're pretty simple. This is all of our beauty products in one area. I know what you're thinking... Justin really needs to cut back on his hair products.
 
 
 
One thing we really did need was a place to hang our towels. The nook under the cabinets serve this purpose really well.
 
 
 
Sure, we could've utilized the tall space over the loo for a drying towel. But I found these adorable ledges at Potterybarn Outlet... and design always trumps practicality in this house.
 
 
 
Our big ticket purchase in this bathroom? The new LED can lights and whisper quiet exhaust fan. Very necessary for two reasons. 1) The previous fan didn't even exhaust the humidity from the shower and 2) it was on the same decibel level as a fighter jet... which wasn't working for me because I really look forward to those extra 10 minutes of sleep while the hubs showers in the AM.
 
We hired out the install of these lights and fan, and paid a small fortune for it. Now I have 10 extra minutes of sleep. And, well, that was money well spent.
 
 
Our rocket ship sized shower managed to escape any kind of update as of now. But we have some big plans for it in the future (eviction plans to be more accurate). In the meantime, I am going to enjoy this updated bathroom and a few extra minutes of crazy, vivid pregnancy dreams.
 

This isn't the biggest project we've taken on. But it certainly made a very positive impact on my morning routine! So long, crappy bathroom.

I've leave you with this recap of what we started with...and where we are today.

 
 
 
 
 
 
Wall Color: Benjmain Moore Simply White (Eggshell)
Trim Color: Benjamin Moore Simply White (Semi-Gloss)
Vanity and Door Color: Benjamin Moore Kendall Charcoal
Towel Hooks: Home Depot (holiday special 2014)
Vanity Hardware: Home Depot
Wood Framed Mirror: HomeGoods
Wood Shelves: Potterybarn
 

1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...