Thursday, March 26, 2015

How To Mount a Knob To The Wall

Have you ever wondered how to mount a cabinet knob to the wall? It's really easy, you just need the right tool or the right screw.

I bought two rope mirrors from HomeGoods and wanted to hang them using a cabinet knob, similar to this style used at Restoration Hardware.

Iron and Rope Mirror modern-mirrors
 
I found a 2" unfinished cabinet knob and what is called a "hanger" bolt. The hanger bolt has two different sets of coarse threads with a pointy (for digging into wood) and no head so it can be turned onto a piece of wood (in this case, a knob). The knobs were about $1.27 each, and the hanger bolts were $1.18 for 4 (I only needed 2).

I tested out different bolt sizes on the knob until I found the size that worked. The #10-24 size bolt fit best and 1-1/2" length would work to reach the stud in the wall. If you own a set of bolt cutters, you can just snip the head off the top of a screw and it should serve the same purpose.  
 
 
I first prepped the wooden knobs by staining them (using Special Walnut) and poly coating them, then letting them dry for 24 hours. Then I was able to start the heavily threaded end of the hanger bolt into the knob.
 

I used pliers to tighten so about half of the bolt (the heavily threaded side) was holding onto the knob, and the lighter threaded side was sticking out about 3/4".


Next, I prepped the wall to mount the knobs. I had two mirrors that I wanted to hang side by side, so I used the stud finder to mark two different studs (they were 16" apart). The studs just so happened to be centered on the wall between the built in and the doorway. If there was no stud where I wanted to drive the screw, an anchor would have to be driven into the drywall to stabilize the knob.


Once I located the stud and marked the spot with the pencil I drilled a pilot hole.


And then turned the knob into the pilot. These tightened up nicely and felt stable when I pulled on them.


And that's it. They were ready to be used.


The mirrors hang pretty flat against the wall just hanging on the knob.  The smaller mirror has a little kickback off the wall so I may stick some command tape under the right mirror so it'll lay flat.



Wall-mounted knobs can come in really handy around the house.  You can use knobs as light duty hooks in bedrooms and bathrooms for something a little different (to hang jewelry, scarves, or hats). You can use these knobs to hang a planter in a gallery wall or even hang a picture frame from a rope, chain or string.  Using the same principle, you can even take an old crystal door knob and turn it into a hook as well.  So many ideas!

 
 
 
Have a great weekend, everyone! 


No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...