Wednesday, January 2, 2013

Top 10 Kitchen Tools


I thought I would share a list of items in my kitchen that make life happier, easier and more fun.... The most used items by far.  I'm not much into jewelry, shoes, purses or clothes...and my family knows how to spoil me.  Whether its a birthday gift or a Christmas gift, my loved ones know I love tools (both kitchen and workshop) so many of my kitchen items have been collected through the years as thoughtful gifts I have received.  Although, there are a few of my favorites that I spoiled myself with....

1. Le Creuset - This is one of the best investments you'll ever make to your kitchen and one that will last a lifetime.  My brother and sister-in-law gave me this Le Creuset Dutch Oven for Christmas in 2011.   I only have the one (round, 5 qt), and I use it all the time. Stews, soups, chili, one-pot meals, brownig meat...it's a great tool to have. The price tag is high - but I promise you won't regret it (they often are on sale through the holidays). While Le Creuset offers a whole selection of colors and sizes, I have preferred the one larger pot rather than a smaller one.  They clean up perfectly even after having food burned to the bottom.  Whether I'm cooking for two or for 12 the size works great. (Psst - I also have the Le Creuset bakeware set and they aren't near as great of quality as their enameled cast irons cousins).

2. Sil-Pat Cookie Sheet Liner - I've been wanting one of these for years.  YEARS.  My mom got me this for Christmas in 2011 and I've used it every time I make biscuits or cookies.  Nothing will ever stick to this sheet (imagine not having to ruin your pans with any oil or fatty spray) and baked goods cook perfect every. single. time.  Warning: Do no use a knife to cut anything while on the Sil-Pat.  I may or may not have done this and now have a nice 2" slice in the middle of my cookie sheet liner.  It was a sad day. 

3. Mrs. Meyer's Clean Day Basil Hand Soap and All-Purpose Cleaner - I'm not a fan on strong scents so I like to use "free and clear" soaps with little to no scents.  This is one soap with a slightly masculine scent that I enjoy having around.  Okay, so maybe this isn't a tool, but I love the basil scents from Mrs. Meyers... Seriously, when I get low on these I start to get anxiety that Mrs. Meyer might one day decide to discontinue the Basil scent line and I might not be able to find it.  The geranium one is a good back up scent but is very floral, but not as easy to find.
 
4. Gurgle Pot - I've been eyeing these for a while, and finally splurged once I snagged a Groupon for my local Catching Fireflies (for $10 off) that just so happens to carry them. These funny little pitchers make a gurgle sound when you pour them (it always makes me smile).  I use this every day at the dinner table to hold cold water for a quick refill.  They come in all kinds of stylish colors - mine is white since I'm scared of any color in my life.  My brother and sister-in-law received one of these as a gift from me.  I hope they enjoy it as much as I do! If you are local you can order these online and pick up at either the Berkley or Rochester Catching Fireflies store and they even gift wrap for free.

5. Cuisinart SmartStick Immersion Hand Blender - My mom has told me for years that this is a really handy tool.  I freqently make soups that require some sort of blending near the end of the cooking process.  Which means that scalding soup now needs to be trasnferred to a blender.  Every time I have to transfer the scalding liquids I would think of this neat tool.  While I was at Costco I saw this set for $29.99!  I called my mom to first check to see if she snagged one of these for me for Christmas...and when she said she hadn't, well, I bought myself a little Christmas gift.  And it really is so handy to have around!  I can't believe I lived so long with out it.  There is so much power in this little device and you only have to clean one part that easily detaches from the electric handle.  I used this to make my Christmas morning Strawberry Mimosas and have blended several hot soups.  Much easier to grab from the drawer and plug in than hauling out that clunky blender! 

6. Ameriware 11-Piece Professional Non-Stick Cookware Set - 7 years ago I was only 22.  But I still loved to cook and I had some horrible hand-me-down pots that were really good for nothing!  I saw a demonstration for these at Costco, went home and thought if I should really be spending this much on a set of pots (I was saving for a laptop at the time).  Thankfully, I grabbed the pots the next day and held off on the laptop.  Which is a good thing because these pots are still going strong today...it would be difficult to say this about any 7-year-old laptop!  These are really the best pots I have ever used.  They still have perfect non-stick power, I never have to use butter or oils - and the company has a 25 year warranty!  I tested out the warranty last year on a fry pan and they offered to replace it with no questions asked.  I can also attest for the fact that I've never had to scrub a pan even when food is cooked on.  It comes right off with warm water.  I'm sure there are better pots out there, but for less than $400 I don't know of a set that comes close to this.

7.  Wooden Paddle - The link to the wooden paddle is not for the paddle that I own.  I couldn't find the one I use online, however, I'm sure any wooden paddle would do.  This is one of those little additions to your kitchen that you wonder how you ever lived with out.  I received this as a gift from Justin's parents last Christmas.  They probably have no idea how much I love this one little item!  This is the only spoon, spatula type thing I use when cooking on the stove.  It won't scratch pots and it doesn't get too hot if left in the boiling hot pan.  I usually just rest this across the pot (which also helps to keep water from boiling over) when I'm not stirring and can grab it to quickly stir and it won't burn my hand.

8.  Calphalon Goldware Non-Stick Baking Pans - I don't know what it is about gold pans, but I fell in love the first time I saw these.  I actually started picking these up any time I found them at HomeGoods or Marshalls two years ago.  My mom helped me complete my set by giving me a few at Christmas.  I use my sil-pat on the cookie sheet to help keep it clean and to perfectly bake cookies each time.  I'm sure they don't cook any better than other standard gray pans, but they sure do make me happy every time I see their beauty.

9.  Keurig Brewing System - This is a tough one for me to admit, but I love my Keurig.  I avoided it for years (along with all traditional coffee makers) because I insisted on using the age-old method of boiling water in a teapot and pouring into a french press.  I still insist that the french press makes the best coffee.  But, alas, I have given in to the Keurig craze.  My parents received the wrong Keurig from the manufacturer when they purchased one last year.  They called Keurig, explained the situation, and Keurig sent them the correct brewing system and told them to throw out the incorrect version.  Instead, they gave it to me.  So, okay, FINE, I will utilize my free Keurig.  But I still refuse to buy the k-cups.  I use my Keurig to brew hot water for tea, or I fill my single cup up with my favorite Dunkin' Donuts Regular grounds.  When making coffee for a group I will still use my french press.

10. Wall Mounted Bottle Opener -  Sometimes I wonder why every kitchen doesn't have a wall-mounted bottle opener.  I hung one on the side of a base cabinet across from the refrigerator for easy access.  Seriously people, click over to Amazon.com and order one of these up for your kitchen.  It has actually become a must-see and must-use in my house...Justin points it out to all his friends!  We even open twist off beer with my wall-mounted opener.  I will add one of these to every kitchen that I own in the future.  You should too. 

This is just a short list...there are many things I love and use everyday like my monogrammed mug from Anthropologie that I received as a gift from my best friend (I had to run out and get Justin a J mug because he was jealous of my oh-so-fancy coffee mug).  The garlic press from Pampered Chef I bought 5 years ago (you don't even have to peel the garlic before you mince it).  And I love my Cuisinart Food Processor...but can't they make it easier to clean!  I could go on and on.  Now can someone please create a tool that promises that I never have to peel or cut an onion again. 

What are your favorite must-have kitchen tools? Is there any item that you would recommend all people to have? What are you favorite scents for the kitchen?

Mary

1 comment :

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...