Sunday, January 6, 2013

Bottle Cap Coasters

When I found this project on Pinterest, I knew it had to be added to my "man gift" list.  These would be a great addition to any bar, which is why Justin just received them as a big BDAY gift from me.  Unfortunately, the source of the pin only posted a picture and didn't give a tutorial.  Well some of us (me) are completely intimidated by concrete and needed a guide! 

I decided to face my fear (a medium I don't know and no guide to comfort me) and I "winged-it," mainly because I have been hoarding bottle caps for too long and I needed to purge them.  If it went wrong at least I would have a good story for you.  Then again, maybe I would be lucky enough and the concrete coasters would turn out great and I could share the project with friends!  My only obstacle was what to use for a concrete form?  I shared my project with a friend (who made these as well for gifts) and I told her I had no idea what to use as a form.  Lucky for me, she has a creative mind and suggested using cardboard jewelry boxes.  From life guidance to concrete guidance - I don't know what I would do with out these people in my life.

They turned out great!
and they really rounded out Justin's birthday gift this year.
A few of you have asked...so here is how you make them...

Material List:
- Bottle Caps (don't worry if they're slightly distorted)
- 4 cardboard jewelry boxes (same size - you'll only use the tops or bottoms)
- 10lb RapidSet Cement All
- 2 buckets (one for water and another to mix the concrete in)
- Wooden paint stick (free from the paint department)
- 1/2 c measuring cup
- Trash bag
- Pam non-stick cooking spray (from the kitchen)
- Flat head screw about 3" in length
- 16 felt pads, or 4 sqaures of cork (3.5"x3.5")

Step 1:  Gather all of your materials.  Lay the four jewelry boxes (either the tops or the bottoms - there is a size difference so use only one or the other) on the work table with the inside facing up.  Spray the inside of each jewelry box with Pam non-stick cooking spray.

Step 2:  Place 9 bottle caps in a 3x3 design upside down.  They should take up the entire interior of the jewelry box.  (It may be easier for you to place the caps into the concrete once you pour it.  I didn't think this would give me the look I wanted...which was to have the cement and concrete flush with each other).


Step 3:  Place 2 cups of dry RapidSet Cement All in bucket #1.  Fill bucket #2 with water.



Step 4:  Using your measuring cup, measure out 1/2 c of water from bucket #2 (water bucket) and add to bucket #1 (Cement All).  Then using the wooden paint stick mix the cement mixture until all of the dry concrete is moistened (it should now be the consistency of pancake batter).


Step 5: Carefully pour the cement mixture over the bottle caps making sure to cover them.  I covered the bottle caps and added a little more.  It was like filling cupcake molds with batter...

Step 6:  Allow the coasters to begin to cure.  During this time, if there is any concrete left in the bucket scrape any remaining amounts into the trash bag and toss the wooden paint stick as well. Rinse out the bucket under hot water.  If you don't do this right away you will now have a concrete covered bucket...

Step 7: Once the concrete starts to harden (about 5 minutes) you should be able to take the nail and scribe any message you want into the back.  Wait about 2 more minutes, then break apart the jewelry boxes on the corners.  The cement may still be pliable so carefully flip the coaster over. 



You may notice that the concrete seeped under the bottle caps.  Each one of my coasters did this.  If you press the bottle caps into the concrete rather than pour the concrete on top you won't have to do remove the concrete afterwards.  If you did it my way no worries, this can be fixed, you just have to work quickly...if the concrete is still soft you can shave this away.  I used a very high-tech method.


Step 8:  I used the flat head of a screw to scrape away any concrete that covered the bottle caps.  Brush any shavings into the trash can.

This step allowed me to get the rustic cement look rather than the smooth look.  Just make sure that the concrete hasn't hardened fully yet!


Step 9:  Allow the coasters to completely cure (less than an hour).  Place the felt pads on the underside of the coaster to keep the concrete from scratching a table.


 
I made 8 coasters, 4 using the tops of the jewelry boxes and another 4 using the bottom.  The coasters made from the tops turned out better as there was more room for the bottle caps.  The bottom of the jewelry box is slightly smaller and had less room so the bottle caps were very tight.
 
 
The coasters turned out better than I expected.  I was happy to see that even the distorted caps didn't look distorted once cast in concrete.  And Justin was happy to oblige when I said I needed a few more Sam Adam's caps.  He's such a big help ;)
 
 
This project made me face my fear of concrete!  In fact, I went a little "cast" crazy and starting casting Joe and Lucy's paws.  Now I'm finding more casting projects for the future.  Cement may just be my new favorite medium to work with :)

You need to make these for the beer-loving man (or woman) in your life.  They are so easy and fun to make, and I know Justin is loving his set.  If you make yourself a set of concrete coasters please share your project.  I would love to hear how you made yours and what beer you used.

Mary

6 comments :

  1. Hey, I love this idea! Where did you find the jewelry boxes at?!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! I'm glad you like them!

    The jewelry boxes are at Michael's. I'm sure any craft store would have them though.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I cannot wait to try this! Thank you for sharing how you did this.

    ReplyDelete
  4. how much did all of the supplies cost? (estimated)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Natasha! The RapidSet Concrete is about $10 at the hardware store. The box will make a lot of coasters though - but it's Christmas time so make lots of gifts! The jewelry boxes are $1 each... I bought 2 and used the top and bottom of each one to make 4 coasters. I couldn't find a way to reuse the boxes (I'd have to tear the sides to get the coaster out with out breaking it. As long as you have everything else (two small buckets, bottle caps, etc), then you should be able to make these for under $15. Unless, of course, you count the beer :)

      Delete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...