Saturday, January 5, 2013

6-Pack Beer Caddy

We are spending the weekend celebrating Christmas and Justin's birthday with family. Even though Justin's birthday isn't officially until Monday I surprised him with two homemade gifts yesterday - both of which I couldn't wait to give!  You may have seen a sneak peek of his gifts on Instagram.  Here is tutorial #1. 

If you're visiting from the 'Make-it' Linky Party - thank you so much for visiting!  If you found this post through another source, please make sure to visit the Dog Days of Winter Make-It Linky Party at Liz Marie Blog this week to see what other great ideas they are sharing!

A few months back I caught sight of a 6-pack beer carrier in an Uncommon Goods catalog. PS - really neat ideas for gifts in the catalog and online. It didn't even seem unreasonably priced. I'm sure I'm not the only person alive who stacks the beer in the fridge, recycles the cardboard, and then shoves the cold beer into a bag when heading to Euchre night or a bonfire down the street.   Sure, I could just go to the recycling bin and pull out the carton to restock it.  But what's the fun in that?

I loved this idea, and I thought Justin might share my thoughts. I almost ordered this guy up, and then decided it would mean much more if I made it. I can do that...uh, I think. I didn't make time to create this for Christmas...but conveniently, Justin was born a few short weeks after Christmas and I thought this would be a great way to celebrate the day of his birth. I am especially grateful that this day happened, otherwise I might not be dating the greatest man alive (next to my dad, of course).

Here is my version of a 6-pack beer carrier:

This project came together in about an hour (not including dry time).  And I was able to finish two 6-pack carriers for less than $25.  The material list below will make one carrier.  Yet I would recommend just making two because you have to purchase 4 braces, 8 screws and a 4' length oak plank from Home Depot - just double the handles, lattice lengths and 1x2 lengths.

Tools:
- Miter saw (or miter box and saw)
- Hammer
- Drill driver, with 3/16" drill bit and a Phillips driver
- 2 clamps
- Square (for measuring)
- Pencil (for marking cuts)

Materials:
- 4' Oak (or pine) plank 1/2" x 5 1/2" plank 
   *poplar planks are available at Home Depot.  However, this type of wood won't take stain.  It
    does paint up nicely.
- 1' length pine lattice - 1" wide
- 3' length pine lattice - 2" wide
- 1' length pine 1x2
- 2 - brass corner braces
- 4 - #6 x 1/2" screws (you'll need these to secure the braces into the 1/2" wood)
- 14 - #15 x 7/8" brass plated twisted nails
- 1 - zinc plated handle
- 2 - 1" long wood screws (not pictured below)

Miscellaneous:
- Wood glue
- Sandpaper (150 or 220 grit)
- Sponge brush
- Stain
- Rag
- Polyurethane

Step 1:  Make three 8" length cuts from the Oak (or pine) plank to create the base and sides of the carrier.

Step 2:  Set aside one of the cuts.  Move the miter saw blade to a 45 degree angle cut and measure 1/2" from the center on each side of the two remaining cuts.  The base and sides should now look something like this...

Step 3:  To create the base and sides of the carrier, run a bead of wood glue along the bottom of the sides and adhere to the short side of the base.  You may need a second set of hands to hold this in place while you drill and hammer.  Drill two pilot holes using the 3/16" drill bit, then hammer two twisted nails into the bottom.  If you don't drill pilot holes the wood will split.  See below.

I'm going to say it again because it is very important.  DRILL PILOT HOLES otherwise the wood will split if a nail or screw is forced into the wood.
 
Step 4:  Drill two pilot holes for the corner bracket, one in the middle of the base and the second in the middle of the side.  Using the #6 screws, drill the corner brace into place.

Repeat process on opposite side.

Step 5:  Cut the pine 1x2 to 8" using the miter saw.  The pine board should be placed flush to the top of the carrier and drilled into place using one 1" screw on each side.  I used a countersink so that the screws were flush with the wood.
Step 6:  Cut the 1" lattice to a 9" length.  Run a bead of wood glue from one side to the other along the pine 1"x2".  Clamp this piece into place (see below) and allow to dry.

I used a scrap piece of wood for my 1"x2"....see the nail holes below? I didn't even fill them.  I thought it added some character to the piece.  Character is what I call it when I'm being lazy...

Step 7:  While the wood glue is drying you can make the cuts to the 2" lattice pieces.  Create 4 cuts at 9" length from the 2" lattice.

Step 8:  The bottom lattice board should be flush with the bottom of the carrier.  Use wood glue to adhere the lattice plank so it is flush with the bottom of the carrier.  Drill two pilot holes (one on each side) in the center of each lattic board and hammer a twisted brass nail in each hole.  (The picture below shows a 3" lattice board being used, in which case I added two nails to each side).
Here you can see that the lattice board is flush with the bottom.
Repeat the same process on the second layer of lattice (I placed mine 1" apart) and on the opposite side. 

Step 9: Measure the middle of the top of the carrier and drill the handle into place.  Oh yeah...I also hammered two brass nails into the top of the carrier (on either side of the handle).  If you do this make sure to offset of the nails so that they don't hit the screw holding the 1x2 in place.

Step 10:  Test out carrier
Step 11:  Sand down any rough cuts and areas.  Using the sponge brush, stain the wood (no need to be careful about going around the brass as it will wipe right off).  Wipe off excess stain with a rag.  Allow to dry.  Using another sponge brush (or the same one if you're lazy like me) and wipe on a quick coat of clear polyurethane to protect the wood. 

Step 12:  Carry your new 6-pack beer crate to all your friends houses so that they can be jealous :)
I was pretty impressed with the results and how sturdy the carrier seems to be.  If you make one I would love to see it!  Please share your results and tips. 

Justin would love to comment but he is busy checking out my handywork.  Seriously, isn't he spoiled?  

Mary

4 comments :

  1. It is my great pleasure to visit your website and to enjoy your great post here. I like it very much. I know that you put much attention for these articles, as all of them make sense and are very useful

    ReplyDelete
  2. Can this be made with no power tools? We have no tools whatsoever hubby is more a book nerd then handy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes it can. I would recommend purchasing a miter saw block. All you will need is a saw and a guide (here is what I'm talking about: http://www.walmart.com/ip/16913706?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=3). This will help you make accurate cuts. The one power tool I would recommend investing in (and it will pay for it's weight in gold!) is a power drill. Pre-drilling the holes will keep the wood from splitting when you hammer in the nail. Good luck!!

      Delete
  3. very nice - I may make one myself.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...