Wednesday, December 12, 2012

Scalloped Nursery Letters

....alternate titles for this post include "Scalloped Grown-Up Letters."  Not just for nurseries anymore!

Each year I run around trying to find the perfect Christmas gifts for my friends two little girls.  The greatest and most amazing two little kids you'll ever meet.  Parker (3 years old) just knows how to make my heart smile when she sees me and says "Aunt Mare-we, where's Joe?"  The kid loves Joe and Lucy.  While Lucy has learned that Parker and Cora usually have food (she hangs out within cheerio-catching distance), Joe, on the other hand, runs and wiggles to get away. 

I came up with the idea that I wanted to make Cora and Parker some art for their walls.  Their  bedroom is pink and green.  So I inquired with Amy (their Mom) about what colors she would like, and whether the letters should be the same color or different colors.  The girls are in the stage right now where they want what the other one has, so Amy suggested that I make them the same.  Although Cora will have a "C" and Parker will have a "P," they will be the same style.   

I sent out a sneak peek via Instagram last night.  I was so excited with how they turned out that I had to pre-share!
 I had an image in my head of exactly what I wanted to do.  I first took a trip to Michael's and sought out a 'C' and a 'P' that were a simple style and also thin so that they could fit in a frame.  I actually found these, which were the perfect size (about 7" tall) and thin enough to be put behind glass.  (I wanted the letters to be safe in a frame so they wouldn't collect dust).
 Then I picked out a few different scrapbook paper designs that fit the pink and green scheme.  I wanted to give the letters a scalloped or scaled look and I just so happen to have had a Martha Stewart round punch that I bought a few months back (this can be found in the same area as the scrapbook supplies)...it worked perfect for the project.
 If the letters weren't primed already I planned on hitting them with a quick spray of primer since I was just covering the front with the paper circles and the sides could be seen. 

I started at the bottom placing the circles touching each other, yet not overlapping.  Then began placing a second row on top.  I would try to keep the pattern the same but switched it up when the scrapbook designs started a trend of being right next to each other. 
 
I made sure the white wood didn't show through so the circles ran off the letter.  Things start to look a little ugly before they get better. 
I allowed the glue to dry for say...30 seconds.  I then turned the letters upside-down on a scrap piece of wood.  Using a sharp-bladed box cutter I carefully removed all the overhang.  Much prettier after having all the scraps removed. 
And the final product turned out exactly how I had hoped!  Here is a close-up of the pretty scallop design. 
The letters turned out so nice.  I may have to make a scalloped letter for my grown-up house!
 
I glued the letters to a piece of scrapbook paper with a metallic finish.  Then taped the paper into place in the matte.   
A homemade Christmas gift to my favorite girls! 
 
"To Joe and Lucy's best little friends, here is a project that I made for you to showcase above your beds for years to come. Joe and Lucy were by my side the whole time. xoxo"

While most normal almost-2 and 3-year-olds don't fully enjoy a pretty letter on their wall, I think Cora and Parker will love them for many more years than any toy.
 
Mary 

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...