Sunday, December 9, 2012

Bathroom...er, Basement Renovation: Day 1

My basement transformation began at 8am this morning.  The electrician reviewed the list of violations and began to tackle each item.  These are first priority since they will need to be complete in 10 days.  While I didn't have an opinion on when to complete the electrical issues, I did decide to just do the full renovation since I will be working downstairs anyway.  I might as well focus all of my DIY nighttime/weekend energy (and a little of my savings) on it until it is done.  This way, while I have the electrician here anyway he can work on cleaning up all electrical.

Get ready for a budget-friendly and pain-free basement renovation! 

The to-do list is growing at a rapid pace. We got a little jump start on it today...

- Fix all electrical violations
- Remove dropped ceiling
- Toss fluorescent lighting
- Clean up ceiling joists (so it is free from unnecessary wires, nails, hooks, spider webs, etc)
- Map out new floor plan
- Install new lighting (needs to be flush with bottom of floor joist to give me max ceiling height)
- Paint ceiling (floor joists)
- Put up new framing
- Hang dry wall
- Paint walls
- Install access doors to water heater/furnace and both sump pumps
- Select all finishes (flooring, trim)
- Paint asbestos tiles (yes, PAINT!) in new laundry room
- Expand existing water closet to include sink
- Create workshop with pegboard
- Expand storage area

Here is a before picture of the living area.  This picture was taken before I moved into the house...I currently use it as a work area and that carpet is used as my drop cloth :)
While I am still working through the details of the renovation, I do know that I need to remove the dropped ceiling.  This was removed in less than an hour and thrown set nicely at the curb.  The ceiling tiles were sagging from moisture, only covered about 320 sq feet, hung 5" below the floor joists making the ceiling height a mere 6'5", and they were ugly.  Besides, I could regret this, but I wanted to know what lay beneath that old ceiling.  Thankfully, other than 4,389 nails and 13 lbs. of spider webs, there wasn't too much damage.  The electrician cleaned up a few wires and prepped it for new lighting today.

Here is what she looks like after 7 hours of work today.  Including a bunch of electrical work you can't see.
While it may look like the basement took a big step backwards, I assure you it is a step in the right direction.

I will update as I work through the ideas and details of the basement renovation.  Thank you for looking! 

I am mostly thankful that I was able to remove 20 years of spider webs.  I will sleep well tonight!  #spiderfreeisthewaytobe

Mary

Just in case you missed previous steps and find out why I am completing a basement renovation, you can find that all here:
 

1 comment :

  1. You must have a GREAT job to afford all of this! Our house is definitely not as old as yours but we definitely don't have enough to redo or upgrade any of our rooms that's for sure! LOL Lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...