Thursday, October 2, 2014

Bedroom Reveal

With a household full of renovations going on, it's expected that some spaces are neglected.  Speaking of neglected spaces, I'd like to introduce you to our master suite not-so-master bedroom.

  

Before we moved into the house in February we painted the walls a neutral color, refinished the floors, and stripped the ceiling fan.  



...and it stayed that way for the following seven. months.

Seven months of living in this bare-naked room and I had enough.  The sponge-painted walls were gone - thank the good Lord! Yet we lived with a blade-less ceiling fan and sparkly candelabra light for 7 months.  (In hindsight, I wouldn't have tossed the blades had I known it would take 7 months for us to decide on a ceiling fan.  Whoops).

Just before the wedding, I set a goal to make our room look more deserving of a newly wedded couple.

So I shopped the house, spent $40 on a pair of lamps (from Homegoods) and came up with this... 



We finally decided on a ceiling fan, and had a mini celebration as the old lady was put to rest.




Part of the delay in replacing the fan was that I hate ceiling fans.  

Fast forward seven months living under a fan with no blades, and I finally admitted defeat.  This Hunter fan came home with us.  And only because he had pretty air holes (that's the technical term). 
 
I may have crumbled to bits when Justin looked at me with those sad eyes and begged for a ceiling fan.  Sure, they're practical.  They can even add light.  But, there's only one thing I hate more than ceiling fans... and that's ceiling fan lights.  Thankfully that man agreed to install the fan with out the light kit, and then I got all googley-eyed at him.  

We discovered this fancy schmancy wireless system made by Lutron.  This handy wireless dimmer for plug-in lamps has two outlets, allowing us to plug in both lamps on either side of the bed.  The lamps can be turned on, dimmed, and turned off with a wireless remote.  We positioned the remote on the wall (next to the fan switch).  If we're feeling lazy, that remote slides right off the wall and we have the power right from our bedside.  Lutron may have just saved our marriage. 


The switch plates currently don't match, so we plan to swap out the fan switch and buy a switch plate adapter for the remote (to make it look more permanent).

The room was looking sooo much better, but now that the wedding was over, it was time to get serious in the bedroom.  Not like that.



I ordered new curtains, hung up a few frames, brushed on some paint... and voi-la!

That drab little corner of the house was finally looking worthy.


This is our only room in the house with poor natural light.  I mean if any room in the house has poor natural light, I would prefer it be a bedroom.  Who wants natural light shining in your face at 6:30am anyway? 


I hung the drapes behind the bed to add some softness to the room.  And give the illusion that we have another window.  Sneaky, right?

 


Here's my favorite part!  Are you ready for some majorly dramatic before and afters?!



This buffet was sitting in our basement in our last house (unused), and made the move with us.  To sit unused in our new basement.  Ugh...such a shame!  Wipe away that tear, because I cleaned her up and now she's a happy buffet.



I know I'm going to get a nasty gram from some wood lover for doing this.  I'm not sorry... as my dad always said - my house, my rules ;)  Besides, she's so pretty now!  No more hiding in the basement for this one.

'Nough about our painted lady for now... and on to that goooorgeous gallery wall framing the TV.


I needed a gallery wall in my life.  Need it like I need to get my arse back into the yoga classes I signed up for. 


I could sit in bed and stare at the wall all night.  Justin thinks I'm watching TV... nope.  I'm applauding my genius'ness.

Thanks to some pretty amazing friends for gifting us a few of the gallery wall members!  Namely the "Price" picture and our engagement canvas.  They're perfection!

Now, let's talk about those side tables.  Those free side tables!



While they weren't really the design I was looking for... the design I wanted was $500 each.  Shocking.  

Free was more my style.  I used the budget-breaking chests as inspiration when brushing on some chalk paint I already had.  I reused some old hardware and patted myself on the back for creating these beauties for free.

  
Now let's see that magic happen...




I'm over the moon for our new space.  Most of the decor items were things we already had, but never really had a place for.  I love how all of our meaningful items came together so well.    

Justin and I were having a little discussion about our house the other day while looking at our original pictures.  We can't remember why we even bought the joint with it looking the way it did.  Whew... thank goodness we don't mind a little project!

Okay, now for the part when we discuss our most favoritist part of the room.  Me, I luuuurve that gallery wall. And Justin is a happy man to have that ceiling fan.  What are your thoughts on gallery walls? Do you love the randomness of it, or do you prefer a more organized and clean-lined look?

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...