Wednesday, October 15, 2014

A Tangent & An Entry


I have just been informed that we have friends coming to our house on Saturday.

My initial reaction was excitement - our friends haven't seen our house yet, and I was giddy to show it off. 

Well, until we sat down for dinner last night.  As I talked with Justin over dinner, my eyes stopped on the baseboards and door casing that hadn't been painted... the nail holes haven't even been filled.  Noooo... look at where I pulled down the crown molding - I haven't replaced that...Oh crap - I still haven't stained the corbels!  Okay, we just won't allow them in the dining room.  Uhhh... do I have time to touch up the paint in the kitchen? Or install the hardware.  Well, I guess the kitchen is off limits too...

It's a renovation reality over here, people. Normally, I won't let a guest walk in the door if there is a pillow out of place... and now I have friends coming over to see my un-done-ness!

That's when I stopped and took a big step back.  I listened to myself.  Actually listened and thought - wow, I sound like a crazy person.

Who cares that our house isn't done.  These people are friends with us - they know we always have projects going on.  They know we work full time, and were planning a wedding, and that our dog just had major surgery... 

And then I read a line I wrote 8 months ago. 

"We don’t have a timeline.  [These renovations] will be completed at our leisure."

I clearly lied to myself. 
I need to slow my roll.  Take a big 'ol project Xanax.  Sloooow down, yo.  To work on one project at a time. Not start any more projects until I finish the half-done ones.  I said it here.  I'm posting a current house tour of what my house looks like right now.  Like this past weekend.  That way you all know exactly where we are at.  The good, the bad, and the really ugly office space.  I left out the update on a spare room, because NOBODY wants to see that.
 
Alright, you didn't come here to listen to me rant about how anxious I am at all times. You came to see the updates in our entryway.
Here it is on day one.
We finished the floors, painted the walls, fixed the broken doorknob (after 6 months of not being able to use the front door), scrapped the old light fixture, and added some furniture and fancy décor.

Sidenote... did you know that many hardware companies have lifetime warranties on their products?  Our neighbor (who was laughing at us for not being able to use our front door) told us this handy tid bit of info. The handle on our door is made by Baldwin, and it's probably a good 20 years old.  In an effort to save us $150+ on a new door handle (since we don't know if we're going to keep this front door or replace it) I put in a call to Baldwin, and in less than 3 minutes a replacement was on it's way.  For free.  Did you hear that...FREE!  Thank goodness for lifetime warranties, front doors that actually work, and awesome neighbors. 


The previous owners of the house left this giant crock behind in the garden.  So happy they did too!  There's a crack throughout the inside, but he looks pretty great by that entryway. And now, friends, you have a place to stow your umbrella-ella-ella-eh-eh. Exactly what you wanted. You're welcome.


I was on the hunt for the perfect entry table for 8 months.  The shopping struggle is real, folks. I almost caved and paid way too much for a table I wasn't that crazy about.  Then I discovered that Target now carries Safavieh furniture and home decor. Which is totally legit stuff. I found this table on sale ($100 off from the MSRP).  Free shipping, free returns? Perfect for a girl with purchase commitment issues...


See the mango bowl with the miniature pumpkins? There's a dachshund around here that thinks this is his toybox... and now I'm minus 4 pumpkins.  Three of which I can't even find.  Well done wiener dog.


Real artichokes only look nice under an airtight cloche for about a week.  And then they get really REALLY moldy. Fast. Just don't do it.
 
   
All of the little items are things I've owned for a while.  But just in case you're curious...
Runner - Target (it's a couple years old, but I think they still carry it)
Console Table - Target
Light - Home Depot
Hardwood Floors - Oak with Dark Walnut Minwax and Semi-Gloss Poly


Now you have my permission to head on over to the current house tour and stalk the rest of our unfinished abode.  And to our friends coming to see us on Saturday - we can't wait!! (Please don't judge me for not painting the bathroom ceiling...)

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...