Thursday, April 2, 2015

Best Ever PB&J

Peanut butter jelly time peanut butter jelly time!

I planned to post yet another reveal on our house today. Then I noticed that today is National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day, and I couldn't think of a better excuse to step away from the home improvements to share my favorite lunch time recipe.

I'm obsessed with PB&Js. It's right on top of the list for my favorite comfort food.  You really can't go wrong with this classic.

If I see it on a menu I will most certainly order it. I'm always out to find a great spin on the classic. Deep fried, bacon jam, corn-flake crusted, canapés... I've tried a variety.  But my favorite is my homemade version.

This version was inspired by one I've tried on a menu list with a couple variations.  I think my version is better. Give it a try!


 

 
It might look like just another PB&J.  But I assure you that this one is special. A perfect combination of peanuts, cream, and jelly.
 

First, I grab my favorite ingredients - organic peanut butter, reduced sugar apricot preserves, mascarpone, and thick-cut sourdough slices. I keep my PB upside down in the refrigerator. That way if I do get an oily top it'll be at the bottom. Er, the top. Anyway, I don't have to mix if I keep it flipped. Psst - organic peanut butter is the best for this combo.


I toast the sourdough slices to my favorite color (medium) and mix up the ingredients while they cook.


Then I add 1.5 - 2 Tablespoons of mascarpone to a ramekin.


Then I add the same amount of peanut butter to the ramekin and mix.


This mixture is spread onto half a slice of toasted sourdough.


And the apricot preserves go on the other half. Apricot doesn't overpower the peanut butter so they go really well together (in my humble PB&J opinion).

The sandwiched is sliced down the middle and served up with whatever fruit we have on hand (usually a banana or a couple oranges).

 
And that's it.

It's pretty plain and simple with a little twist on the classic. Let me know if you make it!  This is a staple in our house.

____________________________________

The Best Ever PB&J
  • 1.5 - 2 TBSP Mascarpone
  • 1.5 - 2 TBSP Organic Peanut Butter
  • 2 TBSP Apricot Preserves (I use reduced sugar)
  • 2 Slices Thick-cut Sourdough Bread
1) Toast the sourdough bread in a toaster until it reaches desired crispness
2) Mix mascarpone and peanut butter until smooth
3) Spread mascarpone mixture on half a slice of toasted bread. Spread on a layer of apricot preserves on the other half.
4) Serve it up and enjoy!

____________________________________

Happy National Peanut Butter and Jelly Day!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...