Wednesday, December 24, 2014

Advent Calendar (a PB knock-off)

It's the eve of Christmas; the time we enjoy with family and loved ones. Which means that it's almost time to take down the Christmas decorations once again.  It's such a shame that the magic and lights only last 30 days.  This is exactly why I decorate in November (as soon as Justin will allow).  I love the twinkle of the lights, the fresh greenery, and wrapped paper packages.


It's just been a particularly busy month for us, and the days seem to have flown by.  Our house is decked out in holiday cheer, and I'm sad to take it all down next week.  But before I do, I wanted to share a very quick project that I created from the scrap wood pieces leftover from our coffee table. 


The base came together very quickly since I had everything I needed (wood, glue, screws, sandpaper, stain...).  It took a trip to Michael's to come up with the mini clothespins, linen bags, and wooden star (which I spray painted).  It cost <$10 for it all. 



This year, justin and I each picked a small candy to place in each bag.  We looked forward to emptying the bags each day, but the candy got to be a little much each night. We ended up dropping most of the treats in the candy dish.

I have to credit Potteybarn (http://www.potterybarnkids.com/m/products/wooden-tree-advent-calendar/) for this advent idea.  I pinned this advent calendar from PB a few years ago, and it turned out to be an easy one to replicate.  



I love that we can reuse this year after year and even customize the contents.  In the future, we might include little notes to each other (along with an occasional treat) to open each day.  And little treats or sweet messages for the kiddos as our family expands.  It's such a great way to count our blessings as we count down to Christmas.  

One of my most favorite things about Christmas is the cards we receive from friends.  I practically run to the mailbox each day!  Sure, many of us are on facebook and we see each other regularly, but I love seeing our friend's families and relationships grow over the years.  I really hope this tradition never ends!



And of course we sent one out, too!



hope you all have a happy holiday full of love and joy (and warm weather)! Merry Christmas, friends!

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...