Sunday, December 29, 2013

A New Blog

After 9 hours spent perched in front of my computer this weekend, I was able to complete most of the updates on my blog.  Here's what I did...

____________________________________________________________

1.  I gave myself a new name.  Something that meant more to me - and something I can expand on.  Like if I wanted to launch a new blog focused on something more specific.  I have an idea in the works, but I could get shy and choose not to hit publish...so I won't share anymore.  I already feel better about the new name and I feel like it's more "me."



2.  A new look!  Look around and you'll see that the page has changed - it went from turquoise and red...to looking like something I could hang in my house.  Something slightly more "natural."



3.  I created a Project Gallery.

You may not have noticed before, but my last design had a project page with the description and a link to projects that I had shared, but it was bland and didn't create much interest.

So what used to look like this:
6-Pack Beer Caddy
 
Chalkboard Coasters
 
West Elm Veneer Spheres

Now looks like this: 


You can view the gallery live by selecting "Project Gallery" in the top tabs, or by clicking here.

4. I updated the "About Me" tab:  

Which can be viewed live by clicking on the "About Me" tab at the top, clicking the picture in the right sidebar (you must be on a PC to do this), or by clicking here.

5. I worked on fixing broken links.  Since my last domain expired (www.buildingsimpleblog.com), all old links (links in my posts, on the project page, and links posted by others in Pinterest) were being directed to an expired domain...and, therefore, not working.  When I changed my domain name (which is now registered through GoDaddy.com and hopefully something more permanent) I changed all my links on my project page, and updated any Pinterest pins created by me.  So when a user clicks on a link, they should be directed to the new page.

However, I am unable to fix any pins on Pinterest not generated by me.  And there are quite a few.  So I apologize to anyone who is given an error page when they click on a Pinterest pin that belongs to me... that annoys me and I wish I could fix it.  If you know how to fix this, please let me know!    
____________________________________________________________

The entire process of changing over my blog was definitely worth the time and effort.  Not only did a learn a thing or two about writing codes, I also learned more about the importance of quality. One of my goals is to work on creating more quality with regards to writing, project sharing and especially photography!

There will be more changes coming soon!

Thanks for reading - and I hope you didn't have to spend all weekend in front of a computer.  :)

xoxo,
Mary

No comments :

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...